LGBTQ Suicide & Mental Health Resources
AT A GLANCE
The following statistics are from The Trevor Project’s National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health 2021.
- 42% of LGBTQ youth seriously considered attempting suicide in the past year, including more than half of transgender and nonbinary youth.
- 70% of LGBTQ youth stated that their mental health was “poor” most of the time or always during COVID-19.
- 48% of LGBTQ youth reported they wanted counseling from a mental health professional but were unable to receive it in the past year.
- 12% of white youth attempted suicide compared to 31% of Native/Indigenous youth, 21% of Black youth, 21% of multiracial youth, 18% of Latinx youth, and 12% of Asian/Pacific Islander youth.
- More than 80% of LGBTQ youth of all races/ethnicities said it was important that a crisis line include a focus on LGBTQ youth, should they need it.
- Affirming transgender and nonbinary youth by respecting their pronouns and allowing them to change legal documents is associated with lower rates of attempting suicide.
- 75% of LGBTQ youth reported that they had experienced discrimination based on their sexual orientation or gender identity at least once in their lifetime.
- More than half of LGBTQ youth reported that they had experienced discrimination based on their sexual orientation or gender identity in the past year.
- Only 1 in 3 LGBTQ youth found their home to be LGBTQ-affirming.
- LGBTQ youth who had access to spaces that affirmed their sexual orientation and gender identity reported lower rates of attempting suicide than those who did not.
Guides, tip sheets & more
Identity and Cultural Dimensions: LGBTQI
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
NAMI’s guide to LGBTQI identity, mental health risk factors and how to find the right mental health professional.
Preventing suicide in LGBTQ communities
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
Facts and research about LGBTQ mental health and suicide risk, as well as AFSP’s own advocacy and prevention efforts.
Mental Health and the LGBTQ Community
Human Rights Campaign Foundation
Research on suicide and mental health rates, risk factors and support for LGBTQ youth and adults.
The Trevor Project | thetrevorproject.org
Founded in 1998 by the creators of the Academy Award®-winning short film TREVOR, The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.
GLSEN | glsen.org
A national network of educators, students, and local GLSEN Chapters championing LGBTQ rights and working to cultivate a safe and supportive environment for all students.
LGBT National Help Center | glnh.org
An LGBTQ organization that provides free, confidential peer support and local resources. The help center manages hotlines for the LGBT community, including specific hotlines for youth and seniors, as well as peer support chat rooms.